A Brief History
Membership in the Presbyterian Church fluctuated between 8 and 25 from 1892—1900. A series of pastors served in the church between 1896 and 1898 when W.J. Bone persuaded the National Church to continue its support of the Wenatchee church. It was Reverend Bone who hung the church bell. The church was without a permanent pastor from 1903 to 1905. By 1917, church membership had grown to 387.In January of 1962, the Wenatchee Daily World newspaper announced that the Presbyterian "Pioneer Church" was holding its last two Sunday services before being torn down. The bell in the tower has followed construction of each new edifice since it was first retrieved from an old steamboat that had crashed on the Columbia River. This same bell now rings from atop its own tower on the Saddlerock EPC campus located at Miller and Crawford.
In the photo above, Fred Deal points to a bullet hole that is part of the bell's history. No one is sure about the circumstances surrounding the hole, but it's possible that it originated from an incident on a Columbia riverboat - prior to its re-purposed life in the church. The bell has been a part of our history ever since -- hole and all.